Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Review: Reason To Breathe by Rebecca Donovan

{Review} Reason To Breathe by Rebecca Donovan
Goodreads Description:
"No one tried to get involved with me, and I kept to myself. This was the place where everything was supposed to be safe and easy. How could Evan Mathews unravel my constant universe in just one day?" 
He knows there’s something more to the girl sitting in the back of the class the moment he sees her. She’s beautiful, intelligent, and athletic – but she slips quietly through the crowded halls, trying not to exist. Determined to get to know the elusive girl, Evan soon discovers… Emma Thomas is hiding a terrible a secret. Reason to Breathe is an electrifying page turner from start to finish, a unique tale of life-changing love, unspeakable cruelty, and one girl’s fragile grasp of hope.
Why did I pick this up?
Honestly I didn't pick it up myself. I went to a book signing in LA and Rebecca Donovan was there. I saw her book on her table and read the back blurb and thought to myself, "That sounds like a badass book!" So I picked it up, had her sign it and bought the sucker. 
What did I think?
Um.....wow. Where do I even start? 
I'll admit that I was a little wary once I started the book because I thought it would make me cry. It didn't make me cry but it took my breath away. So many emotions ran through me as I kept reading. I was enraptured by Emma's story.
Emma has a pretty hard life at home and does her best to bear through it. I have to hand it to her, because what she takes, most people wouldn't be able to handle. She's counting down the days until she can leave and be free. To breathe. I felt her pain and heartbreak. It was practically dripping from the pages. I couldn't look away. 
Evan is such a great character. I loved him from the start and he will be a favorite character for me for a while. He takes everything in stride and is honest. You don't find too many honest guys out there. Not to mention what a little hottie he is. Ha!
Emma and Evan's love story is timid at first and blossoms into this all-encompassing passion that overtakes them. I think it also takes them by surprise as well. It was really fantastic to read through the book.
I think that the best part about this book is that it is brutally honest. When you read about what Emma goes through, you think to yourself, "Why doesn't she fight back? Or leave? I would." But when you truly think about if you were in that certain situation, would you truly be able to? I was thinking that to myself as I read. I honestly don't know what I would do in that situation. No one really does. 
Rebecca Donovan did an amazing job with this book. I cannot wait to read the next one in this series. This book will be in my brain for quite a while. As well as my heart. 
I highly suggest you pick up a copy soon and start to read! This is one that you do NOT want to pass this one up.

 photo hsig_zps4df4a677.png

No comments:

Post a Comment