Monday, February 10, 2014

{Review} The Fault In Our Stars by John Green

{Review} The Fault In Our Stars by John Green

Goodreads Description:
Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.

My Review:
Where do I start with this book? I will go with a few words that I think describe it pretty well: touching, heartfelt, heartbreaking, perspective changing.
I will say that I enjoyed this book. I truly did. I read this with my bestie April. We've both been wanting to read this for a while but never got around to it. Now that it's becoming a movie in the next month or so we thought we would speed it up on our TBR list. Once we saw the trailer for the movie, it had to be the next one in the long line of our "buddy read" list.
I'm not going to say I didn't know what to expect. Because, frankly, I knew what was going to happen more or less. But even though I had an idea of what to expect, I still was surprised. Granted, the main reason why I only gave this 4 out of 5 stars is that it seemed a bit too....intellectual for me. Now, I'm not saying I'm ignorant by any means when reading books but there were areas when I had to re-read the excerpt to understand it. I consider myself pretty well rounded in the whole reading category since I read quite a bit.
This book made me truly think. I try to read as objectively as I possibly can. This book made that very difficult for a few reasons:
1. I'm a mother. After voxing with April, I realized that I felt the same way as she did. I can put myself in her mother's shoes and read as a mom. Reading that way nearly tore my heart out. How do you deal with something like that? How? You're one and only child is sick and so close to death. How do you do  that? I have no idea what I would do if I were ever in that position. It gave me a new perspective on caregivers. Seriously. Mad props out to those who care for their sick loved ones. All around.
2. I'm a wife. I'm in love. Everyone should have the chance to love someone and have that person return it. Sick or not. To see that these two teenagers love so deeply touched my heart. You don't think about that kind of thing when you see someone with an oxygen tank rolling with them. They are teenagers in the book but their love for each other is so beyond their years because of where they've been. What they've been through. 
3. I am a best friend. I have people that I consider my best friend and they (hopefully) consider me theirs. There is a point in TFIOS that I thoroughly agree with. When someone passes away, suddenly all these people coming out of the woodwork saying how sorry they were and what a great person they were. Did they really know them? Truly? If I found out one of my best friends was sick, I'd be there everyday. Just to be there. I thought that was awesome that Green touched on that.
This book completely changed my outlook on a few things. I am really glad that I read it and even though it wasn't my favorite, I will read it again. Maybe not soon because my heart is still a little raw, but I will. Not sure if I'll see the movie since movies tend to ruin the book. Or vice versa. The books are always better. 
Hazel was fantastic. I loved her sense of humor and her views on life. She was very honest and very blunt. I'm sure she didn't want to hurt people's feelings with what she said but I enjoyed her honesty and her directness.
Augustus was...just....*sigh*. I thought he was so very perfect. He really made the book for me. His overwhelming love for Hazel was so touching. 
Actually their love for each other was completely perfect. I don't know how to describe it. 
I can't really say too much because I don't do spoilers. 
John Green's words just jump of the page and are written extremely well. There wasn't any fluff. Everything was just great. I felt this book was very real and very beautiful. 
"It seemed like forever ago, like we'd had this brief but still infinite forever. Some infinities are bigger than other infinities.
I strongly encourage you to pick this book up and read it. It really is a good book with a great story.
 photo hsig_zps4df4a677.png

2 comments:

  1. Lovely review, Jess! I wish I'd had someone to read this with, but it still would've torn my heart out. It's a difficult story to read, but also sooo heartfelt and beautiful. I'm actually looking forward to the movie. The trailer alone made me tear up, so I can only image how the rest of the film will go. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to comment on this the day you posted it but blogger was being a bitch hoe and it wouldn't go through.

    I still haven't written my review yet bought you captured my thoughts exactly. <3 Love our buddy reads, and we are kind a pathetic and need to get smarter. lol

    ReplyDelete